Sushma Swaraj died after suffering cardiac arrest. Her body will be kept at BJP headquarters in Delhi till 3 pm after which it will be taken to Lodhi Crematorium for last rites.
- Sushma Swaraj’s body will be kept at BJP headquarters in Delhi from 12 pm-3 pm
- Leaders across party lines have expressed shock at sudden demise of Sushma Swaraj
- Delhi government declared 2-day mourning in the national capital as mark of respect
Sushma Swaraj, former External Affairs Minister and veteran BJP leader, died after cardiac arrest on Tuesday night. She was 67.
The senior BJP leader was brought to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) around 10 pm and taken to the emergency. While doctors tried to revive her for about an hour, she died at 10.50 pm, the hospital said in its statement.
Sushma Swaraj’s sudden death triggered a wave of shock and grief with aam aadmi and leaders cutting across political spectrum paying glowing tributes to the astute leader and star minister of the Modi-1 government.
The body of the former Union minister will be kept for three hours at the BJP headquarters on Wednesday for party workers and leaders to pay tributes. Sushma Swaraj’s last rites will be performed at Lodhi crematorium.
WHAT HAPPENED TO SUSHMA SWARAJ?
Sushma Swaraj had not been keeping well lately. Sushma Swaraj had a kidney transplant in 2016 but had continued to work through her recovery period.
Despite a severe medical condition and prolonged hospitalisation, she continued to work. Citing health reasons, Sushma Swaraj announced that she will not contest the 2019 Lok Sabha elections held earlier this year.
On Tuesday night, Sushma Swaraj was brought to AIIMS around 10 pm and taken to the emergency ward. The hospital later released a statement saying the BJP leader died at 10.50 pm.
WHAT WERE LAST WORDS OF SUSHMA SWARAJ
Hours before her demise, Sushma Swaraj congratulated Prime Minister Narendra Modi after the government revoked the special status for Jammu and Kashmir, saying “I was waiting to see this day in my lifetime”.
Taking to Twitter on Tuesday evening, Sushma Swaraj said: “@narendramodi ji – Thank you Prime Minister. Thank you very much. I was waiting to see this day in my lifetime.”
प्रधान मंत्री जी – आपका हार्दिक अभिनन्दन. मैं अपने जीवन में इस दिन को देखने की प्रतीक्षा कर रही थी. @narendramodi ji – Thank you Prime Minister. Thank you very much. I was waiting to see this day in my lifetime.
— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) August 6, 2019
WHAT DID PM MODI SAY?
Soon after AIIMS released a statement informing the nation about Sushma Swaraj’s death, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said it was a personal loss.
Saying a glorious chapter in Indian politics had come to an end with the death of Sushma Swaraj, Narendra Modi wrote on Twitter, “India grieves the demise of a remarkable leader.” He said he could not forget how the former external affairs minister worked tirelessly.
Sushma Ji’s demise is a personal loss. She will be remembered fondly for everything that she’s done for India. My thoughts are with her family, supporters and admirers in this very unfortunate hour. Om Shanti.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) August 6, 2019
“Even when her health was not good, she would do everything possible to do justice to her work and remain up to date with matters of her Ministry. The spirit and commitment was unparalleled,” he said.
PM Modi said Sushma Swaraj was one of her kind, who was a source of inspiration for crores of people. “Sushma Ji was a prolific orator and outstanding Parliamentarian. She was admired and revered across party lines,” Narendra Modi said.
Describing her as an excellent administrator, the prime minister said Swaraj set high standards in every ministry she handled. “She played a key role in bettering India’s ties with various nations. As a minister we also saw her compassionate side, helping fellow Indians who were in distress in any part of the world,” he said.
WHAT HAVE THE PRESIDENT, VICE PRESIDENT, SPEAKER SAID?
President Ram Nath Kovind, Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu, Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla on Tuesday condoled Swaraj’s demise and hailed her as a good orator and a distinguished parliamentarian
- Expressing shock over the demise of Swaraj, President Kovind tweeted, “The country has lost a much loved leader who epitomised dignity, courage & integrity in public life.” “Ever willing to help others, she will always be remembered for her service to the people of India,” he said.
- Vice President Naidu said Swaraj’s death was a huge loss to the country and a personal loss to him.”She was an excellent administrator, outstanding Parliamentarian & a remarkable orator. My heartfelt condolences to bereaved family members,” he tweeted.
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla said Swaraj despite being a politician, kept human sensibilities paramount. “As an MP, Sushma ji set new paradigms in the country. She always kept the interests of the country foremost and gave it expression. “I salute Sushma ji’s saintly memory. The shining sun of the India’s political horizon has set in the form of Sushma Swaraj,” he said.
Former president Pranab Mukherjee also tweeted, “Shocked beyond words and distressed at the passing away of Smt SushmaSwaraj. An astute parliamentarian, an effective orator & an excellent humane leader, she will forever be remembered and missed. Hers was a story of hard work to heights. My deepest condolences and prayers.”